National Federation of Builders has estimated that dealing with the
statutory utilities & micromanaging the whole process costs them
£100,000 a year in delays.
* Source: The Utilities Survey published by the NFB
Like many construction professionals, your heart may drop when you think about dealing with utilities on a new development. Why is it almost always fraught with problems?
It is not at all unusual to experience an unsatisfactory and unreliable service that can lead to delays to your programme and having to reschedule other works with the inevitable risk of missing critical target dates. In turn this may add unnecessary pressure to managing the project, can distract from activities that are of greater importance to you, and may cost you literally thousands of pounds in additional costs!
Below are the most practical (and cost effective) questions to consider before you deal with utilities on your next project.
THERE IS A BETTER & MORE FLEXIBLE WAY?
- Added focus, experience and expertise. Ensuring smooth and efficient provision of utilities to your site, freeing up precious time for your technical staff.
- Guidance at the planning stage with what you need to consider, so those essentials are not overlooked, and any potential delays or unnecessary costs are avoided.
- Not having to fill in numerous application forms and the duplication of associated information. Also not having to make numerous telephone calls to chase for replies.
HOW DO THE STATISTICS STACK UP?
* Percentage of sites experiencing problems when seeking connections – Source: The Utilities Survey published by the NFB.
CAN WE IMPROVE DELIVERY AND MEET COMPLETION DATES?
We help Residential and Commercial Developers avoid the endless telephone calls to numerous individuals within multiple utility companies and ensure they have more time to deal with issues of greater importance rather than worry about timely dates for utilities connections.
- By having our own self-lay accreditation means all mains, service connections and meter installation works are carried out by our own qualified, experienced, and trusted teams. This ensures maximum amount of control during all installation activities.
- In addition we also provide a dedicated PDI Project Manager who understands the site requirements (including key handover dates), and your need to be kept fully informed of progress will be onsite to oversee the works.
- We schedule a pre-start meeting with the Site Manager to discuss the implementation of utilities works into the overall site build programme, including critical dates and our work call-off process plus any other site-specific issues.
- We install mains equipment in one trench where possible. This can minimise site disturbance/ inconvenience and reduce the number of open excavations.
“Our decision to outsource the design and construction of the Utilities Infrastructure to PDI Utilities has been particularly beneficial to me. It has given me one point of contact for all activities and above all, to date, PDI have delivered on their promises throughout.’’
Finally you can see why working with PDI on your next project will mean you enjoy a single point of contact for the complete project, and also savings in time, administration and overall cost. For more information contact our Business Development Manager on firstname.lastname@example.org or simply request a quote here.